Center for a New American Security: Developing strong, pragmatic and principled national security and defense policies.
When you tweet with a location, Twitter stores that location.
You can switch location on/off before each Tweet and always have the option to delete your location history.
The URL of this tweet is below. Copy it to easily share with friends.
Add this Tweet to your website by copying the code below. Learn more
Add this video to your website by copying the code below. Learn more
Hmm, there was a problem reaching the server. Try again?
.@jeangene_vilmer examines the use of #drones in #France on the new CNAS #ProliferatedDrones site. Here is an introduction from the author:
1. One of the first #drones in the entire world was #French.
2. #France tested the remote-controlled #WWI era Voisin 8 biplane #UAV in 1917.
3. Today, #France uses #drones of all sizes in both domestic and foreign operations.
4. Unarmed #drones are exclusively used for #French intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance as a complement to manned platforms.
5. Debate has emerged over the possible weaponization of American-built, #French-operated MQ-9 Reapers used in #OpérationBarkhane.
6. Arming the currently unarmed #French Reaper #drones is culturally controversial.
7. By 2025 #France will most likely have an unmanned combat air vehicle (#UCAV), which is necessarily armed.
8. A #French #UCAV would be used to deploy in denied airspaces in combination with #Rafale jet fighters.
9. #France faces several financial, human resource, public perception and cultural constraints in acquiring and deploying #drones.
Back to top ↑
Twitter may be over capacity or experiencing a momentary hiccup. Try again or visit Twitter Status for more information.